At The Genie Company, your safety is a top priority.
As we continue to develop products to simplify your life, our industry-leading Genie garage doors and openers continue to be among the most-innovative solutions on the market for safety and reliability.
Genie garage door openers feature state-of-the-art security and safety systems, including:
- The Intellicode® Access Security System: uses billions of possible code combinations to automatically update your security system each time the opener is activated via remote.
- Our Safe-T-Beam® System: When objects pass through the infrared beam, the door automatically stops closing, and then reverses. The system's self-diagnostic functions alert homeowners of misalignment or damage.
- GenieSense™ Monitoring and Diagnostic Technology: Some of our newest products feature this innovative technology. GenieSense delivers the power needed at every movement of the garage door and continuously monitors the operation of the door, stopping operation when significant changes occur. These features minimize noise, wear and tear on the door, and improve overall safety.
Designed to keep you and your family safe, the following tips demonstrate proper operation and maintenance of your Genie garage door and opener.
Garage Doors & Openers
- Always make sure the garage door is completely closed before driving away.
- Keep people clear of the garage-door opening, while door is moving.
- Do not allow children to play with door or opener, including the wall control and/or remote.
- Do not operate a door that has jammed or has a broken spring.
- Do not install an opener on an improperly balanced garage door, as it may cause severe injury.
- Before installing a Genie opener, remove all ropes from the garage door, and remove or disable any garage-door locks in the open (or unlocked) position.
- Install a Genie garage door opener at least seven feet off the floor, and install the Emergency Release Knob six feet from the floor. Read more about garage-door springs and balance.
- Install the Emergency Release Tag on or beneath the Emergency Release Knob.
- Position the wall control:
- Within sight of the garage door.
- At a minimum height of five feet, so children cannot reach it.
- Away from all moving parts of the garage door.
- Install the Entrapment Warning Label next to the wall control.
- Do not connect the opener to any power source until instructed to do so in the installation instructions or your owners' manual.
- Carefully read and follow all safety, installation and operation instructions in your owners' manual (and installation instructions, if you are installing an opener yourself). If you have any questions or you do not understand the instructions, contact Customer Service or your local Genie Professional Dealer.
High Tension Springs
Warning! Do not remove, repair or adjust springs or anything to which door-spring parts are fastened, such as wood blocks, steel brackets, cables or any like items. Repairs and adjustments to high-tension springs must be made by your local Genie Professional Dealer, using proper tools and instructions. Upgrading your door requires a properly matched spring and consult a professional for assistance.
- Disconnect power before removing the opener cover.
- When replacing the opener cover, double check that wires are not pinched or near moving parts.
- Properly ground the garage door opener. Ensure the opener is plugged into a properly grounded outlet.
Note: Do not operate your garage door, either manually or with the opener, if the door has a broken spring. Contact a Genie Professional Dealer for service.
Visually check your door springs and hardware.
- Oil door rollers, bearings and hinges.
- Use silicone lubricant (for doors only) or light oil.
Ensure your garage door is balanced properly.
- Close door.
- Release carriage from rail assembly by pulling emergency-release cord.
- Manually raise door 36 inches (i.e., three feet) off the ground. The garage door should remain stationary. If the door moves more than a few inches in either direction, your door is not properly balanced. Contact your Genie Professional Dealer immediately.
If the door is properly balanced, reattach carriage to rail assembly.
Consult your owners' manual for instructions on how to reattach the carriage to the rail assembly. Close door and ensure the carriage engages with the rail assembly.
Perform contact-reverse test for your garage door.
- Lay flat a single 2"x4" board (wide side down) on the floor in the center of the garage-door opening.
- Close door using wall control or remote.
- The garage door should begin to reverse off the 2"x4" within two seconds, proceeding to a fully open position. If the door fails to reverse on contact with the board, then close-force settings must be lowered. Refer to "Contact Reverse" section in your owners' manual. If, after lowering the force setting, the opener still fails to reverse, seek the expertise of your Genie Professional Dealer or our contact Genie Customer Service. If your opener is unable to pass the contact-reverse test, you may need to replace the unit.
Test non-contact reverse.
- Place an object in the path of the sensor beam, and operate the garage door opener. The garage door opener should not begin downward movement.
- Activate the garage door opener by using either the wall control or the remote, and insert an object into the path of the sensor beam. (Rolling a ball that is big enough to interrupt the sensor beam works well.) The garage door opener should stop the downward movement and reverse the door's travel direction.
- If the opener fails either test, seek the expertise of your Genie Professional Dealer or contact Genie Customer Service. If your opener is unable to pass the non-contact reverse test, you may need to replace the Safe-T-Beam System.
Your owners' manual will provide more details regarding required monthly maintenance, including drawings and labels of the parts referenced here.
Your owners' manual will provide details regarding required annual maintenance, including drawings and labels of the parts referenced here.
For expert advice, contact your local Genie Professional Dealer.